What, Where, and When:
What is "FurCoNZ"?
What is 'Furry'?
Is FurCoNZ open to others who may not consider themselves 'Furry'?
Where is FurCoNZ being held?
When will it be held?
What are the registration types for FurCoNZ?
Is there an age limit for FurCoNZ?
I am underage, can I still attend FurCoNZ?
Is there a capacity limit for FurCoNZ?
How much does it cost?
Why is this so expensive compared with previous FurCoNZ events?
What payment methods do you accept for FurCoNZ?
What is the cancellation policy?
Can I pay for someone else's registration?
I cannot pay in one go, can I make multiple payments/pay in installments?
What will be the activities and events for FurCoNZ?
So this is a fully catered event, what are included with our meals?
Can you cater for my significant allergy/specific dietary requirement?
Can I get a discount if I sort my own meals?
Regarding Terms & Conditions/Code of Conduct:
What is the policy on alcohol?
What is the policy on smoking?
What should I bring/pack to FurCoNZ?
Will there be net access onsite?
What are the contact details for the organizers/staff of FurCoNZ?
What, Where and When:
FurCoNZ is the annual camp/convention of the New Zealand Furry community, for all things that are "furry", that is typically held around summer each year.
Unlike most other furry conventions/gatherings that are held overseas, us Kiwis like to keep things simple and informal. Also, we like to enjoy the clean, green New Zealand outdoors and a lot of activities and events reflect this fact. For FurCoNZ 2009, 2010 and 2011 we arranged and offered activities such as archery, abseiling, kayaking and hiking for our participants.
For the less outdoor keen types we also have a dedicated Art Space, a gaming area and we will be screening Furry-related shows and movies, so there is something for everyone to enjoy while at FurCoNZ.
The answer to that question is rather complicated and differs from person to person. In broad terms it is people who are fans of Anthropomorphics. For more than that, we defer to WhatIsFurry.
Of course. We welcome anyone who is interested in joining in the fun, be they Furry, Brony, Otherkin, or just not sure. The only caveat to this is that they must comply with the Terms and Conditions. Those who wish to cause trouble will not be welcome.
FurCoNZ will be held at MiCamp Taupo. The address is: 100 Rawhira Road, Waitetoko, Turangi, New Zealand. As the name of the site suggests, it is not a hotel typical of most overseas furry conventions/gatherings. This is a camp (similar to events like Camp Feral), with shared cabins, a communal dining area and shared toilet and shower facilities.
FurCoNZ will be held on 2nd - 5th February, 2018 - the weekend before Waitangi Day, from Friday until Monday.
Con will officially open late afternoon on the 2nd of Feb 2018, and end around noon on 5th Feb 2018. We will email attendees closer to the date of the con with the exact times that Registration will be open and when con officially closes.
This year represents a significant change in pricing for FurCoNZ, and registraton will be based around key accommodation types that we will offer:
"Basic Registration" - this covers the entire FurcoNZ: bunkroom accommodation (Friday to Sunday nights), fully catered meals: breakfast, lunch and dinner for Saturday and Sunday; breakfast and luch for Monday (8 main meals), and access to scheduled activities, panels, dances and lodge site area during the entire weekend. Please note: due to bunkroom sizes, we are unable to accommodate specific cabin assignment requests with this option.
"Premium Registration" - this covers the entire FurCoNZ, but with accommodation in one of the lodges. Each lodge has its own shared toilet and shower facilities as well as its own communal lounge and kitchenette, and the lodges include a range of private bedrooms. This option includes fully catered meals: supper for Friday; breakfast, lunch and dinner for Saturday and Sunday; breakfast and lunch for Monday (8 main meals), and access to scheduled activities, panels, dances and lodge site area during the entire weekend.
"Sponsor Registration" - this covers the entire FurcoNZ (as per above) + more! Including: goodie bag, first-in-line and extra goodies for meal services, housing in one of the Premium Lodges, plus more benefits, such as preferential treatment to events. (details to be finalized)
"SuperSponsor Registration" -this is for a Sponsors (or Sponsors) who wish to go the extra mile for FurCoNZ. This covers the Sponsors perks (as per above) + more! Including: housing in the private Motel Unit style accomodation with bedding and towels provided, customised con-badge, plus even more benefits.
"Day Pass" - this covers entry for Saturday and/or Sunday from 9am until 9pm. You will have access to scheduled activities, panels, and common areas for the day(s) that you are visiting. Day Pass visitors can join us for Lunch and Dinner.
Yes. For FurCoNZ, we have implemented the following age limits:
- For "Full Event" registration (those staying at lodge site for the whole weekend), unaccompanied attendees must be 16 years of age or older before the start of FurCoNZ (2nd Feb 2018).
- For "Day-Pass" registration (those only attending during the day and not staying overnight), unaccompanied attendees must be 14 years of age or older before the start of FurcoNZ (2nd Feb 2018).
Unaccompanied minors (ie. attendees under the age of 18 at the start of FurCoNZ) must provide a Parental Consent Form signed by a parent or legal guardian*. This form will be confirmed by a member of FurCoNZ staff.
We will be validating ages at sign-in. Valid forms of photo identification include: passport, driver’s license, 18+ card, or other government-issued ID. We do not accept photocopies or printouts.
NOTE: Attempts to circumvent age limits will void your FurCoNZ registration. There will be NO exceptions.
Attendees under the specified age limits must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. Please be aware separate registration fees must be paid for both the minor attendee and the accompanying parent or legal guardian.
Attendees who wish to bring infants or small children must contact FurCoNZ staff prior to registration to ensure that we have the appropriate facilities and accommodations in place.
If you have any questions regarding the age limit/restrictions for FurCoNZ please don't hesitate to contact us.
*A Legal Guardian is a guardian approved or appointed by the Family Court, or a testamentary guardian (ie. a guardian appointed by a Will)
Yes. We will be limiting full registrations (those that are staying at the site) to a set amount, to ensure the comfort of all attendees staying at the lodge site.
There is also a limit to the number of Sponsor registrations due to the number of rooms available in the Sponsor's Lodge.
However, we welcome anyone to register for a "Day-Pass" (those that won't be staying at the site during the weekend) and at this stage there is no set limit for Day Passes.
We aimed to keep registration costs for the next event similar to FurcoNZ 2014, however as prices had been held at this level for the past few FurCoNZ events we had to make some price rises to make FurCoNZ sustainable.
- Full Event -- Three Day Basic Registration (available until 13th January, 2018) NZ$190.00
- Full Event -- Premium Registration (available until 13th January, 2018) NZ$220.00
- Full Event -- SPONSOR (fully paid by 18th December, 2017) NZ$275.00
- Full Event -- SUPERSPONSOR (fully paid by 18th December, 2017) NZ$650.00
- Day Pass (Saturday or Sunday) NZ$50.00
- 2 Day Pass (Saturday and Sunday) NZ$100.00
Full Event registrations must be paid in full by 13th January 2018.
There are three parts to this answer:
- With the shift to a new site in 2017, the organisers endeavoured to keep ticket prices as low as possible while trying to offer the best experience possible. While the event was a success for the community, it did make a financial loss which was absorbed by the organisers, personally.
- FurCoNZ remains one of the only Furry Conventions in the world to offer accommodation and food as part of registration. Catering has been a significant issue in arranging past FurCoNZ events. We have relied on volunteers in the community to give up their weekend to cater for FurCoNZ. As FurCoNZ grows, the pressure on volunteer kitchen staff has grown, and it has become harder and harder to find volunteers for this. While MiCamp offeres catering, this comes at extra expense.
- We surveyed attendees after the previous FurCoNZ events and found that there was a significant majority that wanted to see an increase in the quality of accommodations. We believe that we have found a good solution to this with MiCamp, but this increase in quality also comes with a higher price. We firmly believe, however, that this remains significantly cheaper than the accommodation costs for a typical Hotel-based Convention.
Our preferred payment method is via direct bank transfer/deposit. We will also make allowances for those who wish to make payments via PayPal.
We will NOT be accepting any on-site (cash) payments for "Full Event" registrations.
Registration is fully refundable until one month before the start of the event (2nd January, 2018). After this time, registrations are not necessarily refundable, but are transferable. Refunds closer to the start of the event will be made on a case-by-case basis only.
Please notify staff if you are unable to attend for any reason. If you are transferring on your registration you MUST contact staff. Please contact FurCoNZ staff if you have any questions at furconz (at) googlegroups (dot) com.
Yes, but please be aware that the payer is bound by our refund policy and that the attendee must agree to, and comply with the FurCoNZ Terms and Conditions.
Those wishing to transfer registrations MUST advise FurCoNZ staff in advance. Failure to do so could delay sign-in or void Registration.
Attempts to use registration transfer to circumvent bans, age restrictions or Terms and Conditions compliance will void Registration.
We prefer full payments, however we understand that individual situations may vary. We can work out payment by instalments on a strictly case-by-case basis. FurCoNZ Staff must be contacted before registration occurs. For Full Event registrations, final payment must be made by the close of registrations (13th of January 2017).
We are in the process of organizing activities/events for this year. If there is something you wish to see, please make use of the poll or the forums to make recommendations.
There are a number of suggestions being worked through, such as artists panels, fursuiting, outdoor games (predator/prey, sirens), movie night, etc. We want to make this a great Con for you, so tell us what you'd like to see or do.
In addition to FurCoNZ events, there will be a number of activities run by MiCamp. Some of these activites will attaract extra charges to cover costs and will require registration. (Kayaking, High Ropes,
Activities will be listed on the Activities page as we continue planning.
Meals are made fresh onsite by MiCamp. We will be providing 8 main meals in total:
- Saturday – Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- Sunday – Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- Monday – Breakfast, Lunch
Breakfast will typically be bread and toast with jams and spreads, a variety of cereals and fresh fruits. There will be at least one cooked Breakfast served during the event.
Lunch will typically be a simple cooked meal, with salad.
Dinner will typically be a choice of at least two main dishes and a salad or vegetable side. A simple dessert, typically including ice-cream, will also be provided.
A variety of hot drinks (tea, coffee, milo, etc.) will be available all day.
We will not be stocking or serving any other snack foods.
MiCamp can only cater for Vegetarian, Gluten Free or Dairy Free dietary requirements only. If you have a dietary requirement outside of this list, please contact FurCoNZ staff directly before registration to discuss your catering options.
No. FurCoNZ does not presently offer self catering options. Meals are prepared in bulk, and we are unable to offer discounts on unconsumed portions. You are, however, welcome to bring food from offsite as long as waste is disposed of. While the lodges do have kitchenettes, these are intended for tea/coffee making and are not intended for full meal preparation.
Regarding Terms & Conditions/Code of Conduct:
Terms and Conditions can be found here.
Alcohol is prohibited on the site. Unfortunately, we have been unsuccessful in obtaining an Alcohol Waiver for this year's FurCoNZ and we apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause attendees.
MiCamp does allow smoking, but in designated areas only. There is to be no smoking or vaping indoors anywhere on-site (including in cabins).
Smokers are expected to be considerate of any non-smokers present. This also includes the use of e-cigarettes and vaping.
Smokers must fully extinguish and dispose of their cigarette/cigar butts in the proper manner.
Regarding Everything Else:
- Yourself. :)
- You will need to bring all bedding materials that you may require (Sleeping Bag, Pillow, Blanket, etc). Mattresses will be provided.
- You will need to bring enough changes of clothes for the entire Con, as there are no clothes washing facilities on-site. Please also make allowances for warm clothing as nights may be cold or the weather may turn inclement.
- You will need to bring towels (we suggest more than one) and toiletries for washing and personal hygiene.
- You will need to bring any personal medication you may require. If you have a severe medical condition, bring spare medication (eg. Inhalers, Epi-pens, Insulin). These can be left with the First Aid Kit in the Duty Leader cabin, for quick access in case of an emergency.
- You will need to bring sunglasses, a hat, and sunscreen. New Zealand Summer sun is harsh and sunburn is a risk even on a cloudy day.
- You will need a torch.
- We recommend hiking boots (for those who wish to bushwalk) and swimwear/togs (we have a swimming pool onsite and Lake Taupo is nearby).
There are no plans at this stage to offer net access on-site, although there is cellular coverage was some data availability.
We hope that most attendees will use this as a reason to unplug and relax for the weekend.
You can contact us via the following means: For any general enquiries:
FurCoNZ (at) googlegroups (dot) com
This FAQ page will be updated as the planning continues.